New Year, New Outlook

We are just getting started on Brinley's journey...
Dec 2009 we got the diagnosis of profound bilateral hearing loss. English Terms: Brinley is deaf.

I'll be documenting Brinley's progress every step of the way. This will be my outlet in getting my thoughts on paper (well, computer) and maybe you will get something out of this too. You will learn what it means to be deaf, possibly be inspired to pick up a few sign language books or next time you see a child with hearing aids or Cochlear Implants you will know what it took for that child to get where he/she is today.

Modern technology is amazing!

"HARD DOES NOT MEAN IMPOSSIBLE"
Brinley Shay Reiswig


Sisterhood

Sisterhood

If we only knew then what we know now...

ALL SMILES WITH MY HEARING AIDS

ALL SMILES WITH MY HEARING AIDS

Mommy's Angel

Mommy's Angel

Upcoming Appointments

Jan 7th, Modesto

2:30pm Meeting with MCS/ SCOE Early Start Eval.


Jan 15th, Oakland
9:00am Speech Therapist Apt
10:00am Family Psycologist Apt
2:30pm First Audiologist Apt with Sara
3:30pm Meeting Dr. Murray, Implant Surgeon

Jan 29th, Oakland - Sedated CT Scan





Stanford here we come!


Feb 9th Meet Surgeon Dr. Blevins, get surgery date


Monday March 29th, 5 hr Surgery at Stanford

Activation 4/20 and 4/21

Follow up 5/17 and 5/18


Sunday, December 4, 2011

Olivia the Pig Bash for Brin

Birthday set up at the Yogurt Mill

Rule #49 Red Velvet Cake is simply the best!~ Olivia the Pig

Tables had coloring pages of Brinley as Olivia the Pig....

Olivia the Pig favors

Rule # 114  Never miss a very important party! ~ Olivia the Pig

This is the happiest Brinley has ever been! (thanks to the M &Ms, sprinkle and gummy bear yogurt toppings) Oh, and the hot chocolate!

Glama Rhonda playing tag with the kids to work off some energy 
Seriously the CUTEST group of kids ever...

Brinley is 3. Holy cow! It seems like yesterday I was at Oakland Children's Hospital and got the diagnosis that Brinley was deaf. I remember my Aunt driving home with me from that appointment (and I know she was trying to lift my spirits) but she said something to the affect of  "It's not that big of a deal" and turned up the radio station. I was thinking to myself----- Not that big of a deal? Maybe because YOU don't have to deal with this....you're not the Mom of a baby that can't hear and is deaf. If I could of flash forwarded to Brinley's birthday party yesterday, WOW! I would have viewed this entire process differently. I've had a good attitude and positive outlook (don't get me wrong) but my Aunts comment was right on point. It's not that big of a deal . Brinley amazes us every single day. Last week at school her teacher came running up to me and said while they were rolling play dough Brinley asked "Can you help me roll it, OK?" That's a 7 word sentence after hearing for 20 months. Average for this age is a 2-3 word phrase. Yay Brin! To all the Moms out there that are struggling with a child that has a special need (whether it be hearing loss, ADHD, Autism, or anything else) the most important thing you can do for your child is acknowledge your child's weakness and vow to do everything possible to assist them to becoming the best they can be. I know parents that have got a diagnosis or been told their child might possibly have an issue and the parents blow up, not my child, how dare you kind of attitude....and their child goes untreated.
As each year, each month, each day goes by OUR pride in Brinley (and Danica!) just multiplies~ They are teaching us the biggest lesson there is to learn in life. Patience, understanding, devotion and unconditional love.Can't wait until our little lady turns 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment